San Francisco Events June 6-12
This Week's Must-Do List: Ice Cream For Dinner, Adolescent Raps, Lashes and Lattes, and More
Hungry for something new? Dine about town or across it at an unexpectedly ice cream-centric dinner in Oakland tonight or with discounted prix fixe dinners at the second installment of the 10th annual Dine About Town through June 15. I'd suggest avoiding the Haight Street Fair this weekend in favor of one of these more off-the-beaten-path pit stops.
- Tonight, it's totally acceptable to have ice cream for dinner. In the first of Häagen-Dazs Made Like No Other dining series, taking place in the cool art deco digs of Flora (1900 Telegraph Ave., Oakland, 510-286-0100, pictured) at 6 and 9 p.m., chefs Rico Rivera and Yoni Levy pair cocktails with a seasonal menu inspired by and incorporating ice cream. Tickets are $139 and a portion of proceeds goes to City Slicker Farms.
- I loved Little Otsu before it sadly shuttered its Valencia Street store. Now, we can again get our hands on the adorable journals, stationery, and other paper products at its pop-up shop at Rare Device (845 Market St., 415-863-3969), one of our favorite gift shops. Little Otsu will be celebrating its new Living Things line of mini art books as well as selling its usual wares through June 29.
- Burger-loving 9-to-5ers, rejoice! The Castro's super-delicious Super Duper Burgers expands to the FiDi this Thursday, June 9, opening in the former Sellers Market space at 721 Market St. Expect way more seating than at the original location, plus tasty sidewalk tables and fast food-style slow food like Niman burgers, gourmet milkshakes, and options for herbivores, too.
- Set your mortification to music. The performance-art phenomenon of Mortified — wherein adults read aloud from adolescent journals, letters, poems, and other embarrassing artifacts — presents its first music-themed installment on Friday, June 10, at DNA Lounge. Expect bad raps, homemade music videos, and other awkwardness. The show goes from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., and I suggest buying tickets in advance, because it often sells out.
- Perk up your peepers. The secret beauty bungalow Lash Lab (888-406-5274) has a brilliant way to get your eyes ready for Summer without a single coat of waterproof mascara. At the Lashes & Lattes event — starting Saturday, June 11, and continuing every Saturday and Sunday this month — you'll be outfitted with customized lash extensions from the in-house experts before spending the day sipping lattes on the garden patio.
- Call it a mellow Yellow Owl weekend. Saturday, June 11, West Elm and Potter Craft invite you to a printmaking workshop and book signing with DIY-savvy designer Christine Schmidt of SF-based design studio Yellow Owl Workshop at the West Elm Emeryville store. The hands-on stamp-carving and hand-painting class takes place from 4 to 5 p.m., and the book-signing and reception runs from 5 to 7 p.m.