SF Bars With Great Food
5 Spots With Unexpectedly Excellent Bar Food
In our foodie town, you can find delicious grub even in the dive-iest of dive bars. Here are five watering holes where the food is just as intoxicating as the cocktails, with plenty of burgers and bacon to go around.
- The Broken Record Bar and Kitchen (1166 Geneva Ave., 415-963-1713): This Crocker Amazon outpost (pictured below) isn't easy to get to, but it's worth the trek for a bar that feels like yours even if you're far from home. Not to be missed: Four Roses bourbon on tap, the famed burger with bacon ground into the beef, sweet potato fries, and the delectable chicken wings.
- Bender's Bar and Grill (806 South Van Ness, 415-824-1800): You can pretty much always get a seat at this spacious, slightly seedy bar, and if you need to fill your belly when bellying up, you're in luck. Bender's irreverent menu also happens to be delicious, with fried pickles, outstanding beef and veggie burgers ("piss off a vegan and order it with bacon"), mac and cheese, and a grilled cheesus christ sandwich.
- The 500 Club (500 Guerrero St., 415-861-2500): One of the Mission's quintessential bars for neighborhood nogoodnicks, the 500 Club doesn't look like a place that would have a kitchen, and thankfully, it doesn't. But it has forged a wholly delicious alliance with Clare's Delicatessen next door. Grab a menu, featuring well-crafted sammies like a reuben and a veggie-loaded vegan option, and have dinner delivered to your bar stool.
- Club Deluxe (1509-1511 Haight St., 415-552-6949): This art deco-styled bar is a perennial fave for jazz and spa collins cocktails in the Upper Haight, but it's the Neapolitan pizza by chef Giovanni that really draws the crowds. You can't go wrong with any of the pies; I love the murder at midnight and the shroomola. Even better, let go of the decision making all together and just order the chef's special.
- The Tee Off Bar & Grill (3129 Clement St., 415-752-5439): A hidden Outer Richmond gem until it appeared on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, this still-proud dive bar serves up everything from fish and chips to pulled pork sandwiches to the impressive double-cut pork chop with achiote and apricot relish over deep fried sweet corn. If those ingredients sound gourmet, wait 'til you see the specials.