Best Gyms in SF
Pop 5: Best Gyms in San Francisco
Welcome back to the Pop 5, where each week we crown our favorite everything in SF. As Summer approaches, we've got fitness on the brain, so with full-body fitness classes and yoga studios checked off the list, we move on to our favorite gyms this week. Whether you're elliptical-obsessed, a boot camp Betty, or a yogi to the bone, the gym is the place where all of us fitness fanatics come together to sweat it out and get our physiques into fine form.
- The Sports Club/LA (747 Market St., 415-633-3900) With a convenient downtown location, this expansive, luxurious gym boasts 127,000 square feet of sports, fitness, and wellness resources. With state-of-the-art equipment (from TRX suspension systems to Kinesis cable training to Pilates), a junior Olympic swimming pool, and more than 130 different types of group fitness classes (including boxing, spin, sculpt, step, Zumba, and many types of yoga), it's a fitness fanatic's dream.
- Equinox (301 Pine St., 415-593-4000) In the heart of the FiDi, this upscale gym is located in a storied historical building, the Pacific Coast Stock Exchange, and offers a truly one-of-a-kind atmosphere with a mural by Diego Rivera, a saltwater pool, and locker rooms tucked away in an original safe vault. More importantly, it boasts top-tier trainers, spacious fitness floors, and innovative group fitness classes including cycling, yoga, Pilates, TRX, Zumba, water workouts, martial arts, and more.
- Crunch (2324 Chestnut St., 415-292-8470, and others) With five locations in San Francisco and four others in the Bay Area, Crunch offers ultimate flexibility for the fitness fanatic on the go — literally and figuratively. With an extensive array of fitness classes focusing on action sports, chill outs, and dance rhythms, from ballet body to cardio striptease to cross train challenge, there's something for everyone. Better yet, they have an extensive team of trainers and state-of-the-art equipment to help you reach your goals.
- Planet Granite (924 "Old" Mason St., 415-692-3434) In addition to an amazing climbing and bouldering terrain — and fab views of Crissy Field — Planet Granite boasts 25,000 square feet of climbing, fitness, and cardio areas, and two yoga studios, with 10,000 square feet of combined fitness areas with plenty of strength, cardio, and core fitness equipment. The facility offers a variety of fitness classes including abs and core, core conditioning, circuit training, indoor cycling, and more.
- Jewish Community Center of SF (3200 California St., 415-292-1200) Open to all, the JCC's state-of-the-art, 42,000-square-foot fitness center is one of San Francisco's finest health, fitness, and aquatics centers, with more than 160 group exercise, mind-body, and aquatics classes (including yoga, tai chi, boxing, Qi Gong, and Pilates) per week. The center also boasts a full-service spa, a 25-yard lap pool, a hot tub, saunas, steam rooms, a basketball gym, and a fully equipped Pilates studio.