Best Fitness Classes in SF
Pop 5: SF's Best Full-Body Fitness Classes
Looking for a way to get fit? How about five ways? Last week we asked for your suggestions for the best fitness classes in SF, and you came back with some fabulous full-body workouts. All the classes on this week's Pop 5 will give you a well-rounded workout from head to toe in just one session — done and done.
- TRX Training Center (1650 Pacific Ave., 415-655-4747, pictured above) The name sounds intense, and it is, but in a really fun way. TRX lets you suspend your fitness boredom with a wide range of classes — including body blast, circuit training, and stretching — that utilize straps of parachute webbing and your own body weight.
- The Bar Method (3 Embarcadero Center, Lobby Level, 415-956-0446; 3333 Fillmore St., 415-441-6333) Even if you never dreamed of being a ballerina, it's hard not to get obsessed with The Bar Method, which combines isometric exercise, dancers' workouts, and intervals in one not-so-easy workout. Says Angelica, "You feel limber and sore all over after every class — in the best way."
- S.T.A.R. Treatment at Crunch (five locations) Crunch offers more classes than you can count, most of them both fun and effective. Reader lexi lu recommends S.T.A.R., which combines some of our favorite workouts, including spinning and body sculpting with TRX cables, with ab work and stretching. What more could you want?
- The Dailey Method (2399 Greenwich St., 415-345-9992; 121 Spear St., 415-883-7404) Also a favorite in Chicago, this cardio-meets-strength-training-meets-stretching session combines elements of Pilates, yoga, and ballet to work your muscles into a long, lean ideal.
- Burn (637 Irving St., 415-665-5608; 1043 Valencia St., 415-829-3331, pictured below) Combining the most effective pieces of Pilates, body sculpting, core training, and cardio, this boutique gym's multitasking method lets you cross off all of your exercise to-dos in one heart-pumping 55-minute workout.